- The Project
- The 9 Men
- The Trail
- Victorian Madeley
One of the homes of the Anstice family, damaged by landslip in the early 19th century and later demolished (in 1839) to make way for the Ironbridge Gasworks. Bedlam Hall was a Jacobean brick mansion of early 17th century date and named after the nearby ‘Bedlam’ or ‘jumble’ of cottages.
It was the home of various chartermasters and then a succession of owners of the nearby Bedlam furnaces (starting with William Reynolds and passing to his nephew William Anstice). It was converted into tenements before suffering serious landslip problems leaving just one end surviving as a cottage until the early 1900s. John Jones is described on the 1861 census as living at ‘Bedlam Hall’ – perhaps it was in this one surviving ‘cottage’ fragment?Back to top ↟