Former Brockholes ‘House of Industry’ or workhouse

Built in 1796 and considered ‘not-fit for purpose’ by the 1860s. Sold in 1874 and turned into housing. What remains of the workhouse is part of 13 Belmont Road whose front rooms probably belong to the 1796 phase of construction. The workhouse itself was much larger and some foundations survive in the back gardens of the present houses.

Back to top ↟