Madeley Wood Hall

Built in 1805, this became the main home of the Anstice family in the 19th century after they moved from Bedlam Hall.  During its heyday the Anstice family had a staff of 6-7 house servants including a governess and the hall was part of a 100 acre estate looked after by fifteen estate workers. Like so many buildings in the area it suffered from subsidence and was demolished in the 1920s shortly after the family left the area. A restored brick structure, once thought to be an ice-house, but more likely used for storage, is all that remains of the hall. There is an interesting leaflet on Lloyds Coppice, produced by the Severn Gorge Countryside Trust, which includes the Hall on its guided walk.

Back to top ↟