St Michael's Church (Grade II)

Built to a design by Thomas Telford to replace an earlier building which had become unsafe.  Opened in 1796. The grave of the nine miners is at the top end of the graveyard. Many of the headstones there commemorate people associated with the industrial past of the area (including the Anstice family) and the graveyard contains one of the finest collections of cast-iron monuments in the country.

Back to top ↟