The Anstice Memorial Working Men's Institute (Grade II)

Built, as a workmen’s club and institute, in 1868-1869 but burnt down in 1874 and subsequently rebuilt. It was named in memory of John Anstice and built using money raised by public subscription (£1000 from family and most of the rest of the £3000 it cost coming from local ironmasters and other public figures. The rebuilding cost nearly £2000 met by the insurance money of £1090 with the shortfall made up by the Anstice family.  The main aim was probably to offer opportunities for self-improvement.  It included a lecture hall and a reading room.  

Back to top ↟